Home / Services / Probate services

Probate services

Coping after bereavement is hard, and particularly so if you have the responsibility for winding up the financial affairs of the person that has died.

A solicitor can help at that difficult time by undertaking the administration of the estate.

The executor appointed in the will instructs the solicitor. If there is no will, the person entitled to receive the estate, (a solicitor will advise you as to who this is likely to be), can ask the solicitor to act.

Traditionally, solicitors charges are calculated on an hourly rate plus a percentage of the value of the estate.

At King Prior McDonald Bridge, we simply charge an hourly rate. This means that you are only charged for the work that we do.

The hourly rate a firm can charge is governed by the courts, and is calculated upon various factors, which include:

  • The complexity of the estate (for example, complicated inheritance tax and trust issues)
  • The qualification of the person dealing with the matter
  • The area in which the solicitor’s office is situated

In 2004 we decided to set up a dedicated department dealing with wills and probate.

If you would like advice upon dealing with the affairs of a person who has died, please do not hesitate to telephone us. We will be able to answer any questions and concerns that you may have, and advise you upon the initial steps you need to take.

For all Wills & Probate advice contact KPMB on 01474 325678.

Common Questions

Q: What is a grant of probate?
A. Grant of probate is the document issued by the probate registry of the court when a person dies leaving a will. If there is no will, the grant issued is called a grant of letters of administration. The grant authorises any company holding money belonging to the deceased to pay that money to the person named on the grant.

Please Note: The contents of this website are for information only and do not constitute legal advice to be relied upon. Professional advice should always be sought for specific issues